18 Wheeler Accident Settlements
Did you know that there are more than 500,000 accidents involving large commercial vehicles, such as 18-wheelers, annually in the United States? Every year, thousands of Americans are killed due to the negligence of trucking companies and their drivers. In fact, 18-wheeler trucks and tractor-trailers are responsible for one out of every eight fatalities in automotive accidents across the 50 states.
There are a few reasons why trucks are so likely to be involved in fatal accidents, but driver negligence and inadequate technology are the most common causes of 18-wheeler vehicle collisions. Truckers are usually only paid for transporting products, and are often held to unreasonable demands by their companies – together, these pressures lead drivers to behave recklessly (such as doing drugs to stay awake or speeding on highways), thereby raising the risk of accidents. Additionally, the trucks themselves may not be properly maintained, and a truck that has faulty brakes or loosely fastened cargo is a danger to everyone on the road.
Yet, despite the hazard these vehicles pose to the public, the trucking industry itself is a powerful, $250 billion industry in both the United States and Canada, and finding legal recourse for damages, both to property and to your person, can seem daunting, if not impossible. To this end, it is critical to find high-quality legal professionals, such as those from the law offices of Anderson, Dozier, Blanda and Saltzman, who hold these trucking companies accountable and get the reparations you need to recover from trucking incidents.
Here is a partial list of the 18-wheeler accident settlements Anderson, Dozier, Blanda & Saltzman has earned on behalf of clients:
- After a St. Mary Parish business owner suffered significant back injuries following a low-speed 18-wheeler accident, we successfully excluded the defendants' "low impact" biomechanical expert on Daubert grounds (regarding the admissibility of expert witness testimony). The business owner won a $400,000 settlement.
- After a resident of Acadia Parish died following a collision, we took on a contested liability claim and won a $450,000 wrongful death suit on behalf of survivors.
- A 34-year-old St. Mary Parish driver sustained severe injuries when his vehicle was struck from the rear by a negligent trucker. We fought hard to earn the $685,000 settlement.
- When a Lafayette Parish machinist suffered a back injury and work disability as a result of an 18-wheeler accident, ADBS was able to secure a $675,000 payout.
- We earned a $1,030,000 award for the surviving spouse and children of a laborer fatally injured in a head-on collision with a semi-trailer.
- We have the experience and resources necessary to handle even the largest and most complex personal injury claims. When a Louisiana resident sustained multiple injuries (including hematoma to brain and concussion to frontal lobe) as the result of a collision with an 18-wheeler, after developing the facts and presenting the damages recovery made for the policy limits, workers' compensation and reduction of the employer's lien, we won a $600,000 settlement.
- When a survey technician sustained shoulder and leg injuries in semi-trailer accident involving a South Louisiana Sugarcane trailer with defective lighting, we won a $600,000 settlement.
- An elderly lady sustained multiple neck and back injuries in a rear-end 18-wheeler/auto accident. ADBS stood up for her in court and secured a $475,000 settlement.
- A commercial truck/trailer struck a disabled vehicle on the shoulder of a Louisiana highway, instantly killing one passenger. On the fifth day of the jury trial regarding contested liability, the jury awarded $433,000 in damages to the deceased's family.
- After an Iberia Parish resident sustained spine injuries/surgery in auto accident as a result of the fault of a commercial truck driver, we won a $425,000 settlement for the client.
No person should have to shell out what feels like 18-figure payments to recover from the damage an 18-wheeler can cause. If you or a loved one needs help getting a settlement from a trucking company, consider Anderson, Dozier, Blanda and Saltzman for your personal injury legal needs.